With the Super Bowl behind us, I’m reminded how much I love chili. It’s probably one of the easiest things to make, too! Now that I’ve got a crockpot, I just can’t seem to stop with the slow cooker recipes.
This turkey chili is unlike any other turkey chili – it’ll surprise you because you won’t even notice that it’s turkey. It’s meaty and filling like beef chili with a nice spicy kick AND a little smokey chipotle spice. This is definitely our style! You won’t even realize how healthy it is 😉
- 1 pound turkey (either turkey breast or regular turkey meat)
- 2 cans (15 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green or red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, removing the seeds & chopped
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (I use the Stop & Shop brand because it surprisingly has a lot less salt than Franks, but Franks will do)
- 2-3 tablespoons Chipotle seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Brown the turkey in a frying pan with salt & pepper & set aside.
Put the chopped onion, peppers, diced tomatoes, and beans in a crockpot and season with a little more salt & pepper. Turn the crockpot on high.
Then add in the turkey, the hot sauce, and chipotle seasoning. Stir thoroughly.
Let simmer in the crockpot on high for 6-8 hours until it’s become much thicker. You can lower the heat to “low” if it’s still too thin and let simmer for another hour of 2. It depends on how think you like your chili.
To serve, top with some sharp cheddar cheese and some whole wheat Tostitos scoops! YUMMM!! Healthy & delicious. -Cristina